[Cocoa-sharp] My Cocoa# installation experience...

Edward J. Sabol sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:34:42 -0500


Hey guys,

Mono/Cocoa# newbie here. I thought you all might be interested in my
experience with installing Cocoa#. I'm using Mac OS X 10.3.4 and Xcode 1.5
with the November gcc update. After installing Mono-Framework 1.1.3 using the
dmg on the mono-project.org download page, I wanted to get Cocoa# up and
running next.

http://www.mono-project.com/using/cocoa-sharp.html says to visit the download
page, but there is no Cocoa# dmg on the download page. So I tried the Cocoa#
Wiki. The "Installing Cocoa Sharp" node is more helpful. The Apple installers
though are rather out of date, and the installer from the developer is
missing. It says, "Someone please make a update on this." :-)

I am willing to check it out from CVS or SVN and compile it, but I couldn't
find directions on how to do that on the Cocoa# Wiki. Could someone help me
with that?

So I downloaded <http://homepage.mac.com/adhamh/cocoa-sharp-nightly.tar.gz>
and untar'ed it. The README file therein seems woefully out of date or else
something is missing. The README says to run ./autogen.sh, but no such file
exists in the nightly tarball. Perhaps the README applies to the CVS archive
and not the nightly tarball distribution? Just for fun, I decided to try
./configure, followed by make.

Very early in the build cycle, I get the following error:

(cd .. ; mono --debug generator/generator.exe -xml:generator/generator.xml) && touch ./generator-run.stamp
ERROR: Generator cannot run; XML File (generator/generator.xml) does not exist

Is that a problem?

The following warnings definitely had me worried:

gcc Bundle.o Loader.o -o CocoaSharpLoader -framework Cocoa -pthread -pthreads -L/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/1.1.3/lib -lmono -lm -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv  
gcc: unrecognized option `-pthread'
gcc: unrecognized option `-pthreads'
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _GetCurrentThread
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore(ProjectBuilderMasterObjectFile.o) definition of _GetCurrentThread
/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/1.1.3/lib/libmono.dylib(threads.o) definition of _GetCurrentThread
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _GetCurrentProcess
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/HIServices(ProjectBuilderMasterObjectFile.o) definition of _GetCurrentProcess
/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/1.1.3/lib/libmono.dylib(processes.o) definition of _GetCurrentProcess
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset
/usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/1.1.3/lib/libintl.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
ld: warning suggest use of -bind_at_load, as lazy binding may result in errors or different symbols being used
symbol _Sleep used from dynamic library /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/1.1.3/lib/libmono.dylib(threads.o) not from earlier dynamic library /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OSServices.framework/Versions/A/OSServices(PowerPriv.o)
symbol _locale_charset used from dynamic library /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) not from earlier dynamic library /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/1.1.3/lib/libintl.3.dylib(localcharset.o)

And I got a ton of warnings that look like:

NSScrollView_glue.m: In function `NSScrollView_setVerticalScroller1':
NSScrollView_glue.m:86: warning: `NSScroller' may not respond to `-class'

There are so many of those though that I have to assume they are not
indicative of a problem.

I do get a "Compilation succeeded" message at the end, so I did a "sudo make
install".

Next I downloaded <http://homepage.mac.com/adhamh/example.tgz> and built the
contents therein. The CocoaSharpBrowser and CocoaSharpFinder seem to work!
Huzzah!

The links to the Cocoa# monodoc on the Cocoa# Wiki are broken or something.
Someone, please point me to the the source for the Cocoa# version of
monodoc...

I'm sure I'll probably have more questions/comments in the near future....

Thanks,
Ed