[Cocoa-sharp] Re: Cocoa# problem with UTF-8 strings...

Edward J. Sabol sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 02:39:04 -0500

> First off; I'm not sure that we publish nightly tarballs? At least I
> never knew we did.

FYI, the Cocoa# Wiki at

http://www.lormyr.com/cocoaSharp/default.aspx/CocoaSharp.InstallingCocoaSharp

has a link to

http://homepage.mac.com/adhamh/cocoa-sharp-nightly.tar.gz

> Anyways we do hide NSStrings as strings; but this shouldn't matter.
> Can you make a testcase and file a bug and I'll move it to mono if
> appropriate?

I'll see if I can slim the application down to a test case, but I want to
make sure I'm interpreting what I'm seeing correctly. Basically, the .xml
file has two hex bytes C2 92 where all the single quotes are in the XML
elements. I assume that's the UTF-8 encoding for a single quote? In the
NSOutlineView, I see two characters: a dingbat of some kind, followed by a
lowercase "i" with an accent mark. I just noticed that when I print the same
string using Console.WriteLine, I see only a single character (a "?") in my
Terminal window where the two bytes are located.

Thanks,
Ed