[Cocoa-sharp] Re: Cocoa# problem with UTF-8 strings...

grompf grompf@sublimeintervention.com
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:12:34 -0500

On 26-Jan-05, at 2:59 AM, Edward J. Sabol wrote:

>> I'm not sure that actually is nightly; adhamh can you confirm?
>
> Well, I have SVN now, so I could upgrade to the latest version if you
> think
> that would help.

Yes definately run from SVN

>> Are you even sure NSOutlineView can take UTF8 without some custom-fu?
>
> I have no idea. I would hope it could, assuming the NSStrings are
> initialized
> correctly. I think the Finder use NSOutlineView for "View as List" and
> file
> names are UTF-8, right? But the Finder probably subclasses the heck
> out of
> NSOutlineView, if it uses it at all, so I don't know. Anyway, if
> there's
> another NS control/view you'd like me to test it with that you know
> handles
> UTF-8 strings, I could probably attempt to do so...

Ok I think I know what the problem here is; our string hiding does
new NSString (str).Raw;

which is:

public NSString(string str) :
this((IntPtr)ObjCMessaging.objc_msgSend
(NSString_classPtr,"stringWithCString:",typeof(IntPtr),typeof
(string),str),false) {}

which in your case should be
stringWithUTF8String:

We'll have a chat about this (me and urs) tomorrow and think about how
to handle

-kangaroo