[Mono-devel-list] [PATCH] Reworked unified Locale classes
Miguel de Icaza
miguel at ximian.com
Tue Jun 14 21:43:13 EDT 2005
> I know that gettext () is widely spreaded on Linux but this does not have to
> mean that it is the best solution and the Class Library has it's own
> infrastructure for globalization using identifier based resources and
> culture based resource files.
I have yet to be convinced that there are any benefits in using the
identifier-based lookup of strings as opposed to the gettext-like
* Gettext is well understood in the Linux world.
* There are existing tools to extract strings to be
* There are plenty of localization tools: Emacs modes,
GUI editors, web-based collaboration frameworks.
* Rosetta also has direct support for handling conflicts,
applying editorial control, pulling translations from
multiple projects to make translations suggestions.
I think that identified-based frameworks have problems:
* They require each identifier to be documented (we
need to do more work to start today).
* If the documentation is not good enough, then
contributors must read the source code to figure out
what the problem is.
* It is not clear when those keys require arguments, it
is common to see in the framework errors that are
lacking information, I do not remember one right now,
but they look like this:
Invalid method `'
Where the maintainer did not know that an argument was
More information about the Mono-devel-list