[Mono-dev] [PATCH] Regalloc tuning
massi at ximian.com
Mon Mar 13 10:03:27 EST 2006
Working on treeprop, I noticed that sometimes the SciMark2 score
got worse, but only on amd64.
Looking at the generated code, I found that the problem was that
a variable heavily used in deep nesting BBs (level 3) was left on
the stack, while variables used at level 1 were put in registers.
So I decided to tune is a bit.
With the attached patch, I get about a 25% speedup on amd64, but
also a 2 or 3% decrease on x86...
Using a less aggressive approach (put "(1 * (bb->nesting))" in the
increment expression), the amd64 speedup is only 10 or 15%, but
at least x86 does not get worse.
I'll go on looking at the generated code on both CPUs to find a
better tradeoff, but in the meanwhile if somebody wants to have a
look at what happens with other architectures...
A (very rough) script to automate the process is here:
and some explanation for it is here:
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 1464 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-devel-list/attachments/20060313/dd0178e3/attachment.bin
More information about the Mono-devel-list