[Mono-dev] Mono.Addins in Monodoc
Miguel de Icaza
miguel at novell.com
Tue Dec 18 12:39:52 EST 2007
> What's nice about using Mono.Addins for all this?
I do not see the use of Mono.Addins actually solving any real
The issues that I have with Monodoc today are:
* Some of the internals are bad (we have two lookup mechanisms,
one uses tree expressions, one uses custom-url expressions,
it would be nice to unify them).
* The tree was supposed to be compact, it is not, its too large,
but that we can live with.
* Editing in the ECMA provider is hard, but Mike has a plan for
* The current provider API is suboptimal (see first point), and
before we launch ourselves into a large task to have plugins,
I would like the interface to be cleaned up, and some of the
most horrid hacks to go away.
* The editor needs to be able to "lint" or check if a see cref
is invalid for example and issue a warning.
Then there are the more fundamental issues:
* We have not yet upgraded everything to 2.0 apis.
* We do not have enough documentation, and in general, we do
not have a culture of people editing and maintaining the docs.
* The contribution stuff works, but reviewing the docs for .NET-
APIs is time consuming because lots of people are cut-and-
pasting from MSDN, so I have to review every contribution and
sometimes I just ignore the contributions altogether and just
go for the easy stuff that I know is not copy-paste (Gtk#)
Adopting Mono.Addins might have some technical advantages, but I think
that overall it will get in the way of some required internal work that
needs to take place before we start considering more features.
More information about the Mono-devel-list