[Mono-dev] [PATCH] String.Split() broken behavior
mono-devel at tlarson.com
Fri Oct 26 14:18:30 EDT 2007
Paolo Molaro wrote:
> On 10/18/07 mono-devel at tlarson.com wrote:
>> On the contrary, the code IS optimized, which is why I removed it that
> Well, moving the code to always transition to unmanaged is not much
> of an optimization.
Understood. Note, however, that the optimization I'm talking about comes
comes from a redesign of the underlying split algorithm rather than
simply running unmanaged.
The whole reason why the unmanaged code was modified at all (as opposed
to just changing the C# counterpart) is because that's where the code
that needed to be optimized. The original implementation did what it
could without changing the unmanaged code, which necessarily resulted in
an inefficient algorithm. That's why he marked the code as requiring
optimization. The *only way* to effect that optimization was to optimize
the unmanaged code, and remove the kludge in the C# code.
The relevant detail here is that the original author recognized that his
implementation was sub-optimal, but didn't know it was also incorrect,
hence the optimization attribute. The patch removes his algorithm
completely, replacing it with something fundamentally different. The
optimization attribute should be removed because the algorithm to which
it applies is no longer present. I didn't want to make a big deal about
it; it was just the appropriate thing to do.
More information about the Mono-devel-list