[Mono-gc-list] Compacting GC (again)

Rodrigo Kumpera kumpera at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 12:00:45 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Ciprian Mustiata <
ciprian.mustiata at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Great achievements with the Linear IL runtime and Mono.SIMD optimizations.
> The linked-list allocators as Visual C++'s runtime new and delete works for
> a large amount of small objects (the worse case anyway for a C++ program)
> around 10-40 times slower than the GC allocation in C#. Anyway, mono
> allocations/deallocations took (again in my microbenchmarks) around of the
> speed of C++. I've happily read about the 2.2+ versions will try to include
> the compacting GC.
>
> The question is: for microbenchmarks with small objects, that will be the
> main thing that will be tested when someone will use the CompactingGC (and
> for typical desktop programs that do processing, like a XML processing logic
> or ASP.NET applications), what should be the typical gain on mater of
> speed? Can be enabled right now to test it from SVN code?

The new generational gc is faster than the current one but the main
advantage is the smaller pause times.

Right now you can do a custom build of mono with the new gc enabled. It's a
very experimental feature and it's neither complete or ready for general
use, so use at your our risk.