[Mono-gc-list] Support for GC.AddMemoryPressure()

glopes goncaloclopes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 09:55:18 UTC 2012

That's very reassuring to hear :-)
MemoryPressure is definitely a very convenient feature for certain wrappers
(e.g. image processing), especially when built for functionally oriented
languages like F# or even C# LINQ, and it's great to know we'll have
support to make it fully functional in Mono.

Would it be beneficial to have memory behavior tests run in Mono to
benchmark this? Playing around with MemoryPressure personally has made me
realize just how aggressive Microsoft's GC is. I've got the same
application running on Windows .NET with a stable footprint of 80/90 MB and
on Linux Mono it grows to more than 1 GB in less than a second. Basically
image processing at high-resolution and fast frame-rates.

Is there any place where one could follow/test the roadmap or current
prototypes/source code for this?

Thanks again!