[MonoTouch] A few questions regarding the Beta

Geoff Norton gnorton at novell.com
Fri Aug 7 19:33:47 EDT 2009

On 7-Aug-09, at 11:01 AM, Matt Emson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Having tweeted Geoff with this question earlier, (he request I post to
> the list), I have a few questions about the Beta.
>
> 1) Is there any info on the licensing for the Beta? (which probably
> leads to question 2...)

You should refer to the license in the installer for the details, but
the license is a time-limited preview with a no-go-live restriction.

> 2) What are we allowed to do with the exes we build? (i.e. commercial
> deployment? App store submission/sales?)

App store submission is not allowed.

> 3) Are the tools time limited? (as in, will they expire and cease to
> function at some point or are exes in any way time limited?)

Yes.  We will ensure that new builds come out to extend the time limit
or the commercial product is ready before the time limit arises.

> All of these stem from an assumption that I should not be writing
> releasable code with the current tools because at some point something
> will expire or I will be breaking a term in a licensing agreement
> somewhere. However, being extremely excited about the tools, I want to
> write serious code and complete a couple of small projects I have been
> holding off on. If the Beta is restricted in use, it would be good to
> know ahead of time, especially prior to any official licensing and
> pricing announcement for the finished product.

The only real issue here is we do reserve the right thru the beta to
move/break/shuffle the api, so there may be some breaking changes.

I hope that answered your questions.
-g