[MonoTouch] Protocol Buffers + MonoTouch = And Interesting Approach To Improving Application Performance

Lee Whitney lwhitney at hdgreetings.com
Sun Aug 16 10:32:28 EDT 2009

What do you think is the most common scenario for monotouch apps benefiting from ProtocolBuffers?

I really dig your passion to improve the platform, I'm just wondering if you are thinking more of internal app use, or of implementing binary services on the Internet for an app to call efficiently?

I got the impression ProtocolBuffers were most often used as a datacenter or intranet technology, for example to let Google have nodes talking to each other really fast.  I wasn't aware many people had started using them on the public internet.

Also I assume this requires opening another server port for handling PB requests?  It took web servers quite a while to refine pretty solid security, I assume a PB server would a similar evolution?

Just curious - I haven't actually used them yet myself.

Regards,
Lee