[MonoTouch] What are you using for debug and logging?

Jonathan Pryor jonpryor at vt.edu
Thu Aug 20 10:43:12 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 01:02 -0400, Terry Westley wrote:
> I thought I saw a reference to MonoTouch and a log4j library, but I
> can't find it now.
>
> I'm currently just using Console.WriteLine and trying to decide
> whether to use System.Diagnostics or find (or adapt) something better.

Interestingly, what I'm using is Console.Error.WriteLine(), not
Console.WriteLine().  On the device, Console.WriteLine() is discarded.

However, if you have your device plugged in, launch Xcode, open the
Organizer (Window -> Organizer), and select your device in the left
DEVICES tree, there will be a Console tab.  This shows syslog output,
which also includes stderr from the application.

Given that I know of no other way to get data off the device without a
debugger or jailbreak, this works best for me. :-)

 - Jon