[MonoTouch] App loading times with MonoTouch

Ash Ash at SketchMD.com
Wed Dec 8 17:06:05 EST 2010

Thanks Nic and Geoff. Will look in my code that is called before FinishedLaunching.

Couple of more questions
1. Do my library projects in MT get complied to individual ARM libraries or is it one big executable.
2. If they are complied to individual ARM libraries, is it possible to weak-link them. Are weak-linked libraries dynamically loaded by iOS?

BTW, Is there a good book or resource for iOS and ARM architecture?

Thx,
Ash

-----Original Message-----
From: monotouch-bounces at lists.ximian.com [mailto:monotouch-bounces at lists.ximian.com] On Behalf Of Nic Wise
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:02 PM
To: Ash
Cc: Forums, MonoTouch
Subject: Re: [MonoTouch] App loading times with MonoTouch

What Geoff said.

Also, I tend to only support current phones, and current -1. (so 4 and
3GS). Same with OS's. I now only support 4.2, 4.1 and maybe 3.whatever
the last one was. 4.2 runs well enough on a 3G, the iPad can do 4.2,
and from memory, it's an (almost) free upgrade for everyone with a
touch. I'm happy to help users, but I dont have the budget (time or
money) to have a 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4 running 3.x, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 etc. (that
would be 16 iDevices FFS)

I have a 3G-equivalent ipodtouch I test on, but I dont expect great
performance on it. If it works on that, I'm done.

Back on topic: MT doesn't load ANY assemblies, if I understand it
right. It AOT-complies everything into ARM code* during compilation,
and thats your app. The DLL's are included, but i never worked out
why. (debug maybe?)

But as usual, I defer to the wisdom of the Kanga. :)

* I was using "ARM assembly" here, as in "ARM CPU instructions", but
it's kinda confusing with ".NET assembly" (a dll) vrs "ARM assembly"
(raw CPU code, not a DLL)