[Gtk-sharp-list] API Freeze Policy Adjustment
Miguel de Icaza
Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:04:25 -0400
> > If the choice is between waiting (at most) 6 months for an API fix (for
> > the next stable release) or waiting a few days to a few weeks for a
> > point-release, I'll take the point release. I suspect most developers
> > would agree.
> The API rules and the whole release process are not meant to make life
> difficult for you, or to get in your way. But large API changes have no
> place in a stable release. The GNOME developers seem quite united in
> their approval of this policy.
While I was the maintainer of libgnome, my policy was to keep backwards
compatibility, but new APIs could be introduced (since they would not
break old software).
The Gtk+ maintainers have a different position.
But I would not characterize "The GNOME developers" being "quite
united", we disagreed in the past, and we seem to disagree now.
Miguel de Icaza <firstname.lastname@example.org>