[Mono-list] Re: Data Grid broken again in latest upgrade
carl at carl-olsen.com
Sat Oct 22 17:52:14 EDT 2005
Yes, it is fixed now. I'm guessing I overwrote my System.Web.dll file when
I upgraded from Mono 220.127.116.11 to Mono 18.104.22.168 yesterday using Red Carpet. If
that is the case, then my frustration lies with an older System.Web.dll file
being release through Red Carpet after it has already been fixed (when I was
still on 22.214.171.124).
I'm trying to create a web site that I can use as a resume to show I can use
C# and ASP.NET on both Linux and Windows, and it's really frustrating when
the whole thing keeps breaking. I'm also trying to show I can use
PostgreSQL or SQL Server 2000 for the back end database. I'm also trying to
make the web site somewhat useful by making it into a searchable database of
Iowa legislators (the official state web site doesn't have the functionality
I'm going to add to mine).
Thank you, again!
From: mono-list-bounces at lists.ximian.com
[mailto:mono-list-bounces at lists.ximian.com] On Behalf Of Gonzalo Paniagua
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2005 4:21 PM
To: mono-list at lists.ximian.com
Subject: RE: [Mono-list] Re: Data Grid broken again in latest upgrade
On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 12:10 -0500, Carl Olsen wrote:
> I upgraded from 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52 yesterday. When I upgraded from 1.1.8
> 184.108.40.206, the datagrid control was badly broken, so I kept filing bug
> until all of the stuff was working again. Now, upgrading from 220.127.116.11 to
> 18.104.22.168 has caused it to break again (selected index returns -1 for every
> datarow). I consider an upgrade from 22.214.171.124 to 126.96.36.199 to be a minor
> version upgrade. You are referring to an upgrade from 1.1.8 to 1.1.9
> would be a major version upgrade. I still don't understand why it has to
> break on a minor version upgrade.
> I'm trying to develop a web site that needs to be working by January. I
> started working on it at least two months ago, but every time I find some
> time to work on it, something is broken again and I spend all my time
> bug reports instead of working on the site.
> I guess the lesson here is that I should have stuck with 1.1.7 which
> with SUSE 9.3.
The lesson is 'we need you to make mono better' ;-).
The bug you reported was already fixed in svn head.
We know that 1.1.9 had a lot of problems in system.web, as there was a
major rewrite of several thousand lines. Since 1.1.9, I've been fixing
all the reported regressions as fast as I could. If you use
System.Web.dll from head
(http://primates.ximian.com/~gonzalo/System.Web.dll.gz) you'll see that
we're pretty much back to where we were in 1.1.8.x, i.e., no known
showstoppers. If you and others didn't report all the bugs you found, we
wouldn't be here.
I hope that the trouble we caused with the rewrite is compensated with
the improved performance and memory usage we got. I still have to blog
some numbers about this, but it's a big win.
Mono-list maillist - Mono-list at lists.ximian.com
More information about the Mono-list