[Mono-list] Mono and MS Singularity
alessandro-bottoni at libero.it
Wed Oct 25 07:57:06 EDT 2006
I'm sure you know MS Singularity (http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/).
Singularity is something like a kernel (similar to Mach) + a virtual machine
(similar to Mono/.NET VM) + a language (similar to C# but with special
contract-programming and multithreading features). (Yes, it is much more than
this but... ignore that, for the moment).
I wonder if anybody has even thought to re-create something like Singularity
starting from Mono (or GNU.NET). I mean, something like this:
1) a kernel (Linux, Mach, a "managed code" kernel written in C#, whatever...)
2) the Mono virtual machine (maybe with support for "channels" and other stuff)
3) C# or, much better, a contract-programming enabled version of C# (something
4) Something like a "message passing" system to support concurrent/distributed
programming (something like the "channels" used by Singularity)
5) a (minimalistic) set of device driver written in C#.
Do anybody thought about this possibility?
>From the point of view of Mono, what do you think of Singularity?
More information about the Mono-list